Designing a great home office will provide you with a comfortable place to work and hold client meetings. Additionally, the modifications you make to the space will lead to an increase in your property’s valuation. To help entrepreneurs reap the above-mentioned benefits, this article by Amabusinessguy provides the steps for creating an aesthetic and functional home office.
Make the Home Office Spacious
Regardless of the size of your office, you can create free space through the following steps:
- Discard all unnecessary furniture and paperwork. This can include old chairs, mails, printouts, etc. If you find any important paperwork in the clutter, proceed to store it in a file cabinet away from sight.
- Buy vertical shelving which increases your storage capacity while utilizing minimal space.
- If you have an old clunky desk consider replacing it with an ergonomic table.
Another way to reduce clutter in the office is to move your operations online. This will significantly reduce the burden on you to store paperwork and facilitate seamless virtual interactions with clients. The best tools to consider include:
- Invoicing Software: According to Lifehack, using this tool, you’ll be able to create digital invoices which can be sent to clients automatically post-purchase. Additionally, you can track the status of payments and send reminders through a single dashboard.
- Cloud-Based Storage: Whether it be contracts, presentations, marketing materials, or more, you can store all of these on the cloud and access it anytime, anywhere. If you’re concerned about safety, consider encrypting your files before uploading.
Install Good Lighting
Natural light is the best way to illuminate your office. If your space lacks windows, consider working with a contractor to install at least one large window. Additionally, here are two types of lighting you should have in your office:
- Ambient Light: This includes ceiling or wall-mounted fixtures which illuminate the room without producing glare, making it the perfect lighting for in-person and virtual meetings.
- Task Light: If you need additional light on your desk, consider buying a desk or floor lamp.
Personalize Using Accessories
Accessories are a great way to personalize the office and provide it with a distinct look that matches your personality and energy. Here are some of the best options to consider:
- Wall Art: Whether it be a painting from your favorite artist or a recent piece that caught your eye, hang it on the wall opposite the door to make it the office’s centerpiece.
- Clocks: A sleek modern clock will not only be a style statement but serve its functional goal of helping you keep track of time.
- Houseplants: There’s no better way to create a comforting atmosphere than by adding houseplants. Additionally, according to Ambius, they purify the air, keep stress in check and promote happier moods.
Furthermore, you can purchase a couch and coffee table which can serve as a space for clients to relax and be comfortable during visits and meetings.
Invest in Security
In addition to expensive equipment such as your laptop, and desk, your office will also serve as storage for important business-related documents such as – licenses, client contracts, tax filings, and more. Moreover, if you’ve created a separate entrance for your office, it will double as an entry point for your home as well. To secure your home and office undertake the following steps:
- Install a security system that includes external cameras and burglar alarms.
- Consider installing motion sensor lights near your walkway and office entrance.
- Post-work always lock your office entrance and the internal door connecting to the house.
While you may be open to having clients visit your home office, given that the pandemic is still not over, it’s best to maintain a commitment to practicing good public health measures, such as:
- Keeping a box of gloves and masks handy to be distributed to guests.
- Investing in a HEPA-certified air purifier that will clean the air of toxins, and reduce the risk of respiratory diseases.
Depending on your budget and preference, start incorporating these changes one-by-one into your office. Moreover, for each modification that you make, remember to click before and after pictures and save receipts. This will help prove the increased valuation of the property during the home selling process.